Białystok is not only a capital city of Podlasie but also a multi-cultural city.
Archaeological findings prove that the oldest traces of settlement in the area currently occupied by Białystok and neighboring towns are dated to the neolitu / kamienia / epoch. In the 15th century, Białystok's goods belonged to the great priest of Puszcza Bielska / in other sources, also known as Puszcza Białystok /. Few villages and peasant settlements formed in it settlement islands scattered in the primeval forest and subjected to the power of the old Ruthenian castles Suraza and Bielsko. Between 1437, and certainly before 1450, Michał-son of the great Lithuanian prince Zygmunt Kiejstutowicz granted goods covering the region and surroundings of Białystok to the Lithuanian lord, Jakub Raczka Tabutowicz, the Łabędź coat of arms, the descendant of Samogitian boyar Klausucia. He managed successively received lands and brought settlers from the Lida poviat. Probably Jacob built the first manor on the hill occupied later by the Białystok parish church. The Swedish invasion brought Białystok wasteland and destruction. Such Bialystok, along with the Tykocin starosty in 1659, received the field hetman Stefan Czarniecki for war services, and two years later he acquired ownership rights through the will of the Sejm. Yes Białystok regained the status of private goods. However, he mentioned the aforementioned lands to his daughter Katarzyna Aleksandra, who from 1654 was the wife of Jan Klemens Branicki, the Gryf coat of arms / grandfather of his more-known imynik /. Their son Mikołaj Stefan was the first of the Branicki family, who settled in Bialystok. In 1691 he obtained city rights for his residence from King Jan III Sobieski. However, Jan Klemens II Branicki, a great-grandson of Czarniecki, was widely regarded as the greatest heyday of Bialystok. He is widely recognized as the patron of the city, who kept Bialystok's goods in 1709-1771. He held important state offices as the castellan of Krakow, the Grand Hetman of the Crown and the first secular senator of the Republic. Supported by the king of France, he applied for the Polish throne, but lost the election with his brother-in-law, Stanisław August Poniatowski. From the beginning of the 18th century, Białystok served as an urban center, and thanks to the efforts of Jan Klemens II Branicki Białystok, on February 1, 1749, he was able to obtain a city privilege under the Magdeburg rights, granted by King Augustus III. In the coat of arms of the city, the place of a deer staggered to the right with spreading horns from the late seventeenth century, occupied a white griffin with a crown, beak and golden front paws on a red shield, with the front paws climbing the initials of the city owner - JKB. The period of the reign of Jan Klemens II and Izabella Branicki was very successful in the history of Białystok education. In the eighties of the eighteenth century, they supported the parish school as one of the few in Podlasie to implement the program of the National Education Commission. After the death of Jan Klemens II Branicki in 1771, Bialystok was granted life by his wife Izabella Branicka. Currently Białystok is the largest agglomeration in north-eastern Poland, which currently has over 290 thousand. population / population density 3106 inhabitants per km² /, the capital of the Podlasie Voivodship and the seat of the voivodeship authorities. It is the administrative, economic, scientific and cultural center of the region. The city is a large transport hub, whose axis is a railway line connecting Warsaw with Vilnius. In addition to Lublin and Rzeszów, it is the most important cultural and university center in eastern Poland. There are many colleges and universities in which about 45,000 students study in the day, evening and weekend system. students. Białystok participates in the work of the Union of Polish Metropolises, and because of its exceptional values in 1993, it was the first in Poland to be accepted into the international project of the Healthy Cities Network - World Health Organization. Administratively, within the framework of the Białystok Metropolitan Area, the city constitutes one municipal commune, consisting of 28 settlements located at 102.3 km².